The main principles of the 1200 calories per day diet
On average, an active woman needs 2000 calories per day. By consuming only 1,200 calories, the body is forced to draw heavily on its reserves to compensate, resulting in weight loss. Generally, this low-calorie diet allows you to lose between 1.5 and 2 pounds per week when it is well respected. It usually lasts 3 weeks: it is not recommended to continue it longer (unless otherwise advised by the doctor) so as not to tire the body too much. A 3 week “classic” 1200 calorie diet can be divided into 3 phases, one phase per week. Each of them requires consuming 1200 calories per day. The first phase is the most stringent in terms of “prohibited foods”, but new foods are reintroduced during the other two phases.
The 1st phase
During the first phase, you must limit carbohydrates (sugars) and lipids (fats) as much as possible to encourage the body to draw on its fatty reserves. Example of menus for a day:
- Breakfast: a hot drink (tea or coffee without milk or sugar), accompanied by whole rusks.
- Lunch: white meat (or fish) accompanied by boiled potatoes. A light yogurt is authorized for dessert.
- Dinner: a hard-boiled egg with unlimited green vegetables (steam cooking). You can eat a seasonal fruit for dessert.
The 2nd phase
During this phase, lipids and sugar are a little more present, but always in small quantities. Concrete example :
- Breakfast: a hot drink (tea or coffee, possibly “sweet” with a sweetener) accompanied by slices of wholemeal bread lightly spread with light butter.
- Lunch: white meat or fish with unlimited steamed vegetables. For dessert, indulge in a light yogurt and a seasonal fruit.
- Dinner: white ham with raw vegetables, followed by white cheese 0% m.g. and a seasonal fruit.
The 3rd phase
During this phase, new foods must be reintroduced, notably red meat (but as lean as possible to start with). Example:
- Breakfast: a bowl of cereals and a seasonal fruit.
- Lunch: raw vegetables and low fat ground beef, followed by a light yogurt.
- Dinner: two eggs with unlimited steamed vegetables. A fresh seasonal fruit will serve as a dessert.
The gradual resumption of “normal” eating
Do not start eating “normally” again at the end of the 1200 calorie diet: gradually find a more caloric diet over several days, keeping the good habits acquired during the diet (example: cooking without added fat, replacing sugar by sweeteners).
Pros and Cons of the 1200 Calorie Daily Diet
First advantage: this diet allows you to lose several pounds quickly. In addition, as long as care is taken to diversify its menus, it does not present any great risk of nutritional deficiencies, since it does not exclude any family of foods. This diet also learns to eat healthier: it gives good eating habits that limit the risk of gaining weight when the diet is stopped. At least, if we do not “crack” completely along the way, because there is one of the big drawbacks of the 1200 calorie diet: it is not easy to follow …
Low caloric intake can indeed lead to fatigue, lower morale and demotivation. However, who says “cracking” also often says “yo-yo effect” on the balance … Another drawback: this diet must really be scrupulously respected to function properly. But it is not always easy to know the number of calories in each dish … One solution is to follow menus pre-established by a nutritionist, but there are also applications calculating the number of calories in your meals … Last point to note: this diet is contraindicated during pregnancy.
To be continued :
– 12 recipes for every day at less than 300 calories
– 10 satiating soups for a meal under 300 calories
– 10 gourmet salad recipes with less than 300 calories
And also :
– Our Zen and easy diet